The 1st of January 2019 was a significant date on the electrical calendar, it was the day we at last saw the implementation of the 18th Edition of the IET wiring regulations. First introduced in July 2018, changes were made across the board as chapters were redesigned, rewritten or indeed introduced for the very first time. Definitions were altered, the scope was extended, and a declaration was made concerning only using the approved parts. Beyond these amendments however, perhaps the most important difference was the emphasis placed both directly and indirectly on green energy.
With Christmas just around the corner, everyone’s main focus should be on having fun and enjoying the festivities but it is also important to stay safe, particularly when it comes to decorations. All the extra clutter around the house can pose a fire risk and Christmas is the only time of year when infrequently used fairy lights are draped both inside and outside the house. The risks are shown by the fact that during the Christmas period in 2011/12, fairy lights caused 47 house fires. However, there are a few simple steps that will let you enjoy them without needing to worry.
As winter approaches and central heating boilers switch on throughout the UK, now is the opportune moment to look at the state of gas safety across the nation and discuss the practical steps everyone can take to prevent incidents related to gas leaks, fire and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Electric shock is an ever-present danger to professional electricians and maintaining safe working practices is crucial to preventing serious injury and loss of life. Unfortunately accidents do happen so it is important to understand the effects of electric shock on the body, as well as to know the correct response procedure when a colleague is injured.
There are many safety standards in place ensuring that a manufacturer’s electrical product leaves the production line safe, efficient and fit for purpose. Each standard applies to various types of electrical equipment, ranging from laboratory equipment to common domestic appliances - additionally providing the manufacturer guidance on which electrical tests to conduct in order to deem their product compliant.
After two members of staff suffered electric shocks from a faulty appliance, the cinema chain has been fined £9,500 and ordered to pay £2,573 in costs following a hearing at Manchester Magistrates’ Court this week.
In a recent online poll of 2000 people from OnePoll on behalf of the Gas Safety Trust, only 13% of those questioned were able to identify the main symptoms and characteristics of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.